TOBHA MOR (HOWMORE)
In the heart of the South Uist machair, next to the ruins of a 13th Century monastery
Howmore has been a popular hostel since it opened in 1966. Sea, sand dunes and machair are within strolling distance, as is some of the Hebrides best hill walking. The hostel looks eastwards towards Hecla (606m), Beinn Corradail (527m) and Beinn Mhor (620m) – South Uist’s highest mountain. Local places to visit include Loch Druidibeg Nature Reserve (2 miles); Flora Macdonalds birthplace (7 miles); The ruin of Ormiclate Castle (4 miles).
- Open all year
- National Grid Ref: NF757365 (OS Sheet No. 22) and GPS location: 57°18’10.82” N 7°23’05.65”W
- Zoomable map and satellite imagery (select Birds Eye) here
- 16 Beds in three shared rooms. Two dormitories of 6 beds. One dormitory of 4 beds.
- Camping is available within the grounds of the hostel
- Betty MacDonald is the warden
- No advanced bookings can be taken so we are unable to forecast future availability. See our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
Inside the hostel
- Common Room/kitchen: A cosy room with dining area and coal burning stove.
- Fully equipped self-catering kitchen: microwave oven, gas rings, cutlery, crockery, pans, tea towels.
- Toilets and Showers: Separate toilet and showers, with instant hot water units.
- Basic barn adjacent for bike parking or other equipment (unheated).
- Beds in four shared rooms.
How to find Howmore Hostel
- From the main island road (A865) take the turning marked “Tobha Mor”. The hostel is the white stone thatched building with a porch entrance, by the church, at the road end.
Buses and ferries
- Bus stop half a mile from the hostel, at the junction with the village road, on the main road. (There is a bus shelter.)
- Here is the bus timetable, bus map and the Cal Mac website for the ferry timetables.
- Shops. Lovats at Carnan 7 miles to the north; the Co-operative at Creagorry is 9 miles to the north. There is also a Co-operative at Daliburgh, 10 miles to the South. Both are on the A865 and the bus route W17.
- Nearest petrol pump are just north of Creagorry on A865 (OS map 22 NF798501)
- Cash machines is at Lovats, Carnan and the Co-operative in Creagorry There is also a cash machine at the Royal Bank of Scotland, Lochboisdale
Walks from the hostel
- There are fine coastal walks along the unique Hebridean machair track (oldest road in the Outer Hebrides) with superb scented flora in season.
- South Uist’s highest peaks are all within easy reach: Hecla (606m; 1988ft), Beinn Corradail (527m; 1729ft) and Beinn Mhor (620m; 2034ft) – South Uist’s highest mountain. (Howmore hostel is the closest hostel to these peaks) ; Loch Druidibeg Nature Reserve, 2 miles; Flora Macdonald’s birthplace, 7 miles; ruin of Ormiclate Castle, (Clanranald) 4 miles.
- See our Explore around Howmore page
Read about our Howmore appeal.
We plan to carry out most of the renovation work over winter months when the hostel is quiet. However, if we do have to close the hostel, notice will be given on this page. Or you can get an update by emailing email@example.com
A “Fantastic Hostel”
Read what people are saying about Howmore hostel, both hostellers and donors, here.